Monday, January 11, 2010

Compliments: Free Prozac

I was walking on the street a couple weeks ago, and this girl coming the other way stopped me, pointed at my shoes, said they were awesome and asked me where I got them. I shared my insider knowledge of this great local shoe place, and she and I both walked away smiling.

That weekend, I was at a party and saw this girl from across the room with the best hair I've ever seen in real life. We're talking shampoo ad hair - thick, wavy and enviably red. It was gorgeous. I recalled how nice it was to have the girl on the street compliment me, and decided to pay it forward by sharing how awesome I thought hair girl's hair was. So, I did. As it turns out, she was fresh out of a horrid break-up, had just gotten out of the salon with a haircut and color she hadn't tried before and although she liked it, was nervous about it. When I, a random girl a party, told her it was fantastic, she said it made her day. Her happiness was immediate and obvious, and made me feel great. We ended up talking for twenty minutes, decided we needed to hang out - and now I have a new friend. A lovely chain reaction started from a random girl on the street paying a compliment.

My point? Next time you see someone wearing something, doing something or having something you think is exceptional, let them know. Paying heartfelt compliments to strangers is a great way to spread a little love. It makes them feel great,which makes you feel great.

Yours in spreading the love,
S

1 comment:

  1. Both receiving and giving compliments to random girls I see on the street makes me feel so awesome. Girls--whether we admit it or not--usually have a "hate other girls" attitude because of our inherent sense of female competition. But I think we all also wish it weren't that way.

    I hope your post inspires more women (and myself) to also pay it forward. I'm glad you made this post!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from readers, and love a lively discussion. I don't love rudeness or spammers, and reserve the right to delete any spam, and any disparaging, derogatory, and/or obscene posts. Thanks!